MAREEBA’S Nate Moule is recovering after undergoing his third brain surgery on Wednesday.
For those who don’t know Nate and his story, he is a two-year-old local boy who has fought admirably in the face of a debilitating malignant brain tumour that was diagnosed on October 31 of last year.
When Nate was first diagnosed, he underwent immediate surgery in Brisbane which removed 95% of his tumour via a radical resection.
Nate had a further surgery on January 9 in Sydney with world-renowned neurosurgeon Dr Charlie Teo, which saw him tumour-free for the better part of four months.
However a scan in Cairns on May 8 identified a small re-occurrence in the same tumour bed.
Fortunately the remainder of the brain and spine showed no indication of spreading of the tumour.
“We flew down to Sydney on Sunday, May 12 and Dr Charlie Teo operated on Nate on Wednesday,” Nate’s mother Katie said.
“This operation consisted of a bigger resection and Dr Teo had to take more healthy tissue this time.”
Ms Moule said the surgery was a resounding success and that Nate is currently in great spirits.
“He didn’t go into the ICU this time and was out of hospital within 24 hours,” she said.
“He is now running around and having a great time – as Dr Teo told me, there’s no stopping him.”
Nate and his family will fly back to far north Queensland on Monday, and Ms Moule noted that there isn’t a follow-up plan in place for Nate at this stage.
“Nate will be resting for the next three weeks and then we’ll find out more from there,” she said.
“I just wanted to take this opportunity to update the community on Nate’s condition as well as thank them for all of their support.”