Local News

Tablelands Folk Festival ends with a bang.

Jessy Lynch who preformed at the recent Tablelands Folk Festival

After what organisers are describing as the “best Tablelands Folk Festival ever” the festival ended at exactly five o’clock on Sunday just at the heavens opened up and a mini storm ripped through Yungaburra.

Organisers are claiming the Tablelands Folk festival a success after COVID restrictions made it seem like the event may not take place this year.

Organisers made it a purely Queensland affair as interstate musicians and artists couldn’t get across the border and then due to social distancing ticket numbers and venue sizes had to be reduced.

But with 1000 ticketholders, 130 shows with 100 performers spread across 8 different venues President Michael Hodgkins said It was one of the most memorable festivals that they had ever had.

“There were a few people wiggling in their seats but overall all of the ticketholder’s and visitors stayed in their seats and kept it a COVID safe event,” he said

“The highlight was how well behaved everybody was, the police came to visit us a few times to make sure we were sticking with the COVID regulations and they gave us the thumbs up every time, despite no dancing everyone was having a great time.

“The festival was an absolute success, it was great to allow people to take their minds off the year that we have had, we have had nothing but compliments.”

The fabulous Hillbilly Goats were the grand finale of the 2020 Tablelands Folk Festival and just as they finished the heavens opened up as wind, lightning and hail ripped through the tiny Tablelands town of Yungaburra.

“Right at the end of the show at 5pm it thundered down, we had hail, lighting and some of the tents got blown down,” Mr Hodgkins said

Despite the hailstorm, Mr Hodgkins said planning is already underway for next year’s event

“We are now planning for next year’s event, as people are already asking if they can buy tickets to next year’s show in case they miss out.”

At around 6pm Queensland police declared that the Gillies range was closed due to fallen trees and was not reopened until after 8.30pm causing several hours delay for people trying to home back down the range.




Most Popular

To Top